15 FUN TRAVEL TIPS
Okay, here are some quick travel tips that I've learned in the past 5 months. Our trip has become MUCH easier and happier now that we've learned a few things....! I hope this helps whether you're traveling for a long time, a weekend trip OR living your normal life at home.
1. Don’t be in a cruise ship port town (i.e. Dubrovnik) on a Saturday or Sunday. Unless you like being in a human pin ball machine with thousands of other people.
2. Always carry toilet paper. Always. No matter where you are…have it. Even if you are in a really posh place, you don't know that the toilet paper will have been refilled!
3. Know your travel companion's rules. For example, ME: no talking while Ryan Gosling or Emma Stone are talking or singing...that includes movies, songs, interviews...any time they are making sound…no talking allowed. Derek: never, ever, ever use the word BOOGER or touch his hair. Ever.
4. Pack your own tampons, especially if you're traveling to the Middle East or Eastern Europe. For real, you are unlikely to get them there (or get the ones you’ll want to use).
**No pic necessary.
5. Always take little things from the breakfast bar…sugar packets, small Nutella or little jam jars. When you’re staying at an Air BNB for 3-4 nights you likely won’t have a lot of provisions and you won’t want to buy a big jar.
6. Pack your own olive oil, salt (or a spice you love) and honey…whatever is important to you to make you feel at home. See above for why.
7. Carry extra Ziploc bags, you will need them and they are impossible to buy outside of the United States.
8. Figure out what your jobs are on the trip. Derek plans transportation and logistics. I plan accommodations and restaurants. When we deviate from our jobs, it’s always a failure…like that time I booked our train from the wrong train station or he was supposed to book a restaurant and we showed up to the town and everything was closed. Don’t let this happen! Stick to what you are good at and enjoy doing.
9. Pack a candle and matches. It instantly makes even the saddest accommodation feel a bit more like home and can save you from embarrassing smells in the bathroom.
10. If you are traveling with your significant other….and don’t have anyone else to talk to…get ready…you’ll be wearing a lot of “hats.” Be clear with one another about what you need. I will often say, “Derek, I need a girlfriend for 10 minutes, you game?” And then we will chat about my wardrobe combinations. Or D will say, “Blah blah blah….drone….blah blah blah….bridge…..blah blah blah….some German car.” And I know that’s when I’m his bro.
11. Always carry a pen, Kleenex (see #2), earplugs, a tampon, sweets (I use them to wake Derek up when he falls asleep driving), headphones and a phone charger in your purse. You never know when you will need these, and they can make your life so much better.
12. Download What’s App. You can text everyone for free, send pics and videos, and make phone calls. It’s the only way to communicate, in my opinion.
13. Carry a small water bottle. It can be the plastic one from a gas station, doesn’t matter. Just have water, you never know when you aren't going to be able to get it easily.
14. Keep perspective. Traveling will often be uncomfortable, but keep your eye on the prize and let the little (and big) things roll off your back. Laughing about stuff is always the best medicine.
15. If you find yourself missing loved ones while you travel, buy them a little treat to let them know you are thinking about them (or send a postcard). There’s nothing better than knowing that you were thought of while a friend or family member is out exploring the world.
As always, thanks for reading! Feel free to share with your friends or on social media, and message me directly with any questions.
Anna & Derek