Shopping, Cuisine, Markets, History, Photography, Artisans and the famed Dia de Los Muertos Festival.
Oaxaca will astound with its vibrancy.
Come explore its rich history with us!
(Click each heading for a deeper dive!)
- Food, Food & More Food! Oaxaca is Mexico's Food Capital, and some say the top spot in the world. Here are some dishes we're most excited about:
- 7 different moles - We are trying all of them for sure!
- Oaxacan hot chocolate and egg bread - WHAT? That's a thing?! Sign us up.
- Quesillo - Oaxacan stringy cheese guaranteed to blow your mind.
- Tlayuda - Meet the tostadas cousin...street food at it's best.
- Chapulines - Grasshoppers anyone? It's a delicacy, but we're on the fence...
- Stone Soup - It's a fish broth with actual stones inside, hmmmm...we'll try anything once!
- Mezcal - Tequila's more sophisticated cousin that apparently gets you high, not drunk. We'd like to find out please!
- Shopping - This whole trip began because of a Oaxacan bag Anna fell in love with. This is the reason she's going...and we're afraid we'll have to bring a U-Haul of stuff back with us!
- Markets - Anna is an expert at finding the little special spots other people don't find...and Derek is great at carrying bags! We will have market visits everyday on our itinerary, and we will add or delete them as you please.
- Dia de los Muertos - The famed Mexican "Day of the Dead" festival from Oct. 31st to Nov. 2nd will give you a deeper look into the harmonious relationship of Christianity and pre-hispanic traditions.
Saturday, Oct 27th - Saturday, Nov 3rd, 2018
A privately owned 6 bedroom hacienda only 15 minutes from Oaxaca City.
Imagine yourself dining on local cuisine under twinkly lights as the palms sway in our private garden. Enjoy morning yoga classes on the lawn or sleep in...and let the smell of coffee and a delicious breakfast wake you.
Hacienda Leon is gated and extremely secluded...yet perfectly situated near the airport and Oaxaca City.
Days 1, 2, and 3: Dive into Oaxaca
Get to know each other over welcome drinks and a group dinner.
Ease into each day with yoga on the lawn followed by breakfast in the garden.
Explore Oaxaca on a guided walking tour.
Indulge your senses with visits to local markets and visit the artisans in nearby villages.
Enjoy the culinary capital of Mexico on a food tour.
Learn to make local specialties in a private cooking class.
Mezcal tasting and touring anyone?
Shopping...there is always shopping...every single day:).
Days 4, 5, and 6: Dia de Los Muertos Celebrations
Discover the deep cultural and spiritual significance of Mexico's famed Dia de Los Muertos celebrations as families celebrate their loved ones.
Learn to make your own altar, or watch others create.
Experience parades and processions throughout the area.
Visit various cemeteries in the Etla valley as families gather at dusk to take part in candle light vigils, many with party-like atmospheres that continue into the early morning.
- Round-trip airport transfer
- Welcome reception and group dinner
- Morning yoga on the lawn
- Daily breakfast in the garden
- Some group lunches
- Oaxaca history walking tour
- Food tour of Oaxaca
- Local cooking class
- Mezcal tasting class
- Market tours - non guided
- Excursions to villages to meet local artisans
- Dia de los Muertos festivities
- Farewell group dinner
- All group transportation
- Anna & Derek's private "Travel Guides" to help you plan future trips
- A private Skype call with Anna & Derek to ensure that this trip is everything you're dreaming of
what's not included
- YOUR SHOPPING! (so sorry!)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Individual lunches and dinners
- Individual transportation
$1800 USD per person
EARLY BIRD and member price of $1500 per person until JULY 15th, 2018.
4 bedrooms available with 2 double beds (beds can be moved together for couples).
2 bedrooms available with 1 king bed (booking must be for two people).
There are 4 shared bathrooms.
Terms & Conditions:
50% deposit required up-front, $750 USD.
Balance due on September 1st, 2018.
Cancellations BEFORE July 1st will receive a refund of half the deposit (25% of total retreat price).
Cancellations ON or AFTER July 1st are non-refundable.